Gram is her name, or at least it became that about 13 or so years ago when she became a grandma. But don't you dare call her "grandma", that's totally forbidden. I'm guessing she thinks "Gram" sounds more sophisticated and less... well, old. hehe
Here's a few interesting facts you should know about this fantastic lady!
- Green thumb like you wouldn't believe. If it can grow, she can make it grow bigger and more beautiful than before. Its no problem for her to start whole plants from small snippets of the original. We worked together at a greenhouse that sold native plants when I was in high school. Unfortunately, I didn't get all the "mad" skills that she has. :(
- Wonderful cook! Southern style, of course. My favorite growing up was fried potatoes and Mom always gave me one piece of raw potato to munch on while they cooked.
- Interior designer extraordinaire. Along with being a fantastic seamstress. Her house is always perfect and she always knows what colors/textures go well together. Once again these skills were not inherited :(
- She likes to sneak in the kitchen late at night to drink a glass of buttermilk with cornbread. There's also some talk about her eatting tomato and mayo sandwiches when she was growing up??? Yeah, I don't understand it either but like I said, she's a southern gal.
- She hates to be tickled. Hates! She will hurt you if you even try. And her signature move is to twist the skin on the backside your arm. Ouch!
- She is meticulous about her teeth. She brushes and flosses after every meal. Although, she's had her share of dental work and those chompers in the front aren't real (shh, don't tell!)
- When I was a teenager, my mom and I were very close, something that's almost unheard of in today's society. We spent lots of time shopping together along with working together. And it is no surprise that she was also my maid-of-honor went I got married. There's no one else I'd rather have by my side on my big day than her.
- And the last great thing about my mom is that she's not just a mom but also a great friend! We both hate to talk on the phone but sometimes we can sit for hours and chat about anything and everything. And when we do get to see each other (which isn't often enough) one of the highlights of the trip is always "Coffee and Conversation" which is exactly what the name implies.
Here's Mom's Gram's Mother's Day presents! Hope she likes them!