Friday, November 6, 2009

The Creation of Something New

Mommy Dearest has been after me for some time to create some pins.  Mom says that scarfs are really big this year and she needs something to hold those scarfs on, something creative.  I guess that's where I come in.  I've never made pins before but I can tell you that once you start they are super addicting.  Quick and fun, my kind of craft!  And I'm a huge fan of scarves (you should see my closet).  So here's the first attempt at being creative.


I guess I will call these mini pins since the one on the far right is not even 2 inches long.  I will probably oxidize the copper ones and leave the brass one as is.  What do think?  Sharilyn Miller shows how to make these in several of her books.  Super easy, super cute!  Can't beat that!

And here's some earrings I made recently.  Hammered copper with sweet little faces.  I'll throw these into the Bei Mondi Etsy shop later.

Enjoy your weekend friends!  :)

19 comments:

  1. These "mini pins" are so cute, you're right Leslie, and so mini... Love them, and i am OK, copper needs to be oxydized.
    Love the new earrings too and they beautiful hammered effect, and the lovely green beads, and the little pendants, and, and...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie I just love the pins! Wonderful little works of art. I am sure your Mom will just love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fibulas lok exotic, especially the middle one. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how funny! i just had her book open and was thinking about fibulae! i wear scarves constantly, in fact, i think my neck is nearing hibernation - she makes them look so easy... glad you gave them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw some of these yesterday, & now I'm pretty sure I have to try my hand @ some. Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see how making these could become addicting. My mom loves wearing scarves, perhaps I should make one for her for Christmas.
    Also, regarding your riveting question, Susan Lenart Kazmer sells a dvd on riveting...it's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautifuls pin's!!! raelly leslie!! bravo!! i love the earrings to of course!! but these pin's are so owesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pins are adorable..love the owl!!! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leslie, yours pins turned out so pretty...your Mom will be sure to love them. Ah, if only my Mom liked handmade jewelry...I'd be all set! The one with the GGS owl is particularly cute! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the pins look fabulous!! great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pins, Leslie! And I can just hear the music of those earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been looking at those pin (fibula?) instructions as well. Yours turned out beautifully. Tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I just stumbled onto you blog and these are lovely pins. I have tried making these pins before but I think my wire gauge wasn't low enough. I hope you don't mind me asking, what gauge wire did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I just stumbled upon you blog and your stuff are fab, these pins are just beautiful. I have tried making these pins before and was wondering what gauge wire did you use? Mine were too soft I used 20 gauge wire.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much girls!

    Kella, try using 16 gauge. 20 is probably too thin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like how you've used the owl bead. It looks lovely in your design! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete