Monday, August 31, 2009

It's Time to Go Back

Today is the first day of fourth grade for Lauren (on the left in all the pictures) so I thought I'd dedicate this post to her. She's been upset for days now knowing that the big day was coming. Yesterday she spent part of the day in tears with a belly ache because she had herself so worked up. Poor thing! So, here's some photos of her with her friends before embarking on the big yellow bus.

Well, to finish the summer off we decided to go to the Carnegie Art and Natural History museums. These are two seperate museums but they are both within the same building which was really nice. We saw art as old as 5000 years and famous names like Picasso and Monet. Here are a few of the highlights of the art.


Lauren even had a chance to create her own art. Fabulous!

Then we headed over to the natural history museum. Lauren had a chance to dig for dinosaur bones which was a big plus. She put on all of her gear and got to work right away.

We are both big fans of the Hillman Hall of Minerals and Gems. My daughter is somewhat of a rock hound. She spends hours going through the backyard looking for interesting rocks and has a rather large collection. The Hillman Hall has probably hundreds of displays of gems. They even have a section for gems found in PA.

I'll miss my little buddy today but I hope she has a day full of friends and laughter. And 3:30 will come before I know it! For those of you with kiddos going off to school today I wish you the best. I'll send you a few imaginary tissues to wipe those tears with! :(

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to Lauren. My kids went back to school last week Wednesday but there were no tears or bellyaches. They just can't wait! But truthfully my son was sad on the 2nd day of middle school because he couldn't get the day one-day two schedule down! Perfectionist, I yelled! (Okay, I didn't yell, but I don't know where he gets that from.) There is a lot to know and learn and he shouldn't be so hard on himself. I always ask this...did you do your best? did you have fun? did you learn something new? I wish Lauren much success in 4th grade, as I recall that was a wonder-filled year. And that gallery looks awesome! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, my sons start school tomorrow and the little one is not too happy. Oh I can't wait for that, hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leslie
    How was the first day?? I hope she had a great day..I know it's tough anticipating going back to school. :-( But what a great way to end the summer. That museum looks incredible... my sons are rockhounds too and would have loved it! How did your spend your day alone? I can imagine you did miss your buddy.
    Cindy
    www.sweetbeadstudio.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls! She was happy when she got home and a little bit embarrassed when I showed her the post with her in the goggles. hehe

    ReplyDelete